Headquartered in Abu Dhabi, UAE etisalat serves 11.6 million resident customers and over 300,000 large, medium and small enterprise and government customers in the UAE.
etisalat has deployed many innovative technologies and services to remain at the leading edge of customer experience.
etisalat’s senior leaders understands the need to continue its investments in building the networks of the future because the positive effects filter down to the rest of the economy. Today, the UAE boasts of an excellent telecoms ecosystem, capable of driving successes across industries and sectors.
etisalat currently has the widest coverage of 3G and 4G mobile technologies in the country. We have established an extensive Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) network covering 86.4 percent of the UAE’s populated area, making the UAE rank as one of the most fibre-connected countries in the world. etisalat’s FTTH network enables an ultrafast residential Internet network speed of up to 500 Mbps. In 2011, etisalat rolled out the UAE’s first and currently the region’s widest 4G+ LTE network, providing mobile broadband speeds of up to 300Mbps and covering nearly 93 percent of the country’s populated area. Our extensive network reaches more than 735 international networks in over 200 countries.
As the UAE roars ahead to achieve its “smart vision”, etisalat is strategically transforming into a leading integrated digital services provider. In support of the UAE’s goal to create smarter cities, etisalat UAE has brought smarter services into every aspect of its offering - for individuals as well as small, medium and large businesses.
The ownership structure changes - the United Arab Emirates government gets a 60% share in the company and the remaining 40% is publicly traded.
etisalat establishes the Etisalat University College to create a talent pool of engineers to drive its future growth.
The UAE central government issues Federal Law No. 1, which gives the corporation the right to provide wired and wireless telecommunications services in the country and between the UAE and other countries.
The Middle East's first GSM service is introduced in the UAE. etisalat also launches Emirates Data Clearing House, providing a complete solution to GSM operators.
Internet services are rolled out across the country, another first in the region. etisalat opens its SIM card factory, Ebtikar, a leading provider of smart card solutions.
etisalat wins second license to operate in Saudi Arabia, thereby introducing Etihad Etisalat - Mobily. It also buys a stake in Canar - a new fixedline operator in Sudan.
UAE mobile subscribers exceed 6.7 million and internet penetration crosses 60% mark. etisalat introduces mobile TV.
etisalat successfully takes a stake in Swan Telecom, which is later renamed etisalat DB. This ensures etisalat's entrance to India consolidating its presence in the Asian subcontinent.
A world where people's reach is not limited by matter or distance.
Customer Centricity is the willingness and ability to give priority to customers, delivering high-quality services and providing a great end-to-end customer journey which exceeds their needs and expectations.
Collaboration is about working co-operatively, across organisational levels and unit boundaries, recognising and adapting to different ways and styles of working to achieve common and shared goals.
Agility is the ability to respond quickly by adapting to and working in a variety of situations with diverse individuals and groups. It is about being able to think and respond differently, and not being disconcerted or stopped by the unexpected, thus achieving a fast response time.
Empowerment involves the ability to enable people at all levels to take ownership, be motivated and act appropriately to achieve the deﬁned organisational, group and team objectives. It requires clarity on what has to be achieved, to what standard, by when, within what budget, and then make clear their accountability for delivery.
A world in which technology extends our reach.
Already music, books and services no longer have to have a physical format to be sold online. Advanced networks will increasingly provide education, healthcare and other services and goods. For instance, telemedicine already allows patients to seek the best advice from doctors around the world; now robotic aids are beginning to make remote surgery possible. As the pace of technological change increases, etisalat will extend its reach into new technologies, services and markets to create opportunities for its customers.
Enablement and Specific Usages
Our optimum goal is to open up opportunities and to actively help people reach their goals