1. What is iPhone eSIM?
eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to activate a mobile account number without having to use a physical SIM. The new iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR feature dual SIM with a nano SIM and an eSIM.
2. How is my iPhone eSIM different from my Apple Watch eSIM?
Your iPhone eSIM works as a primary individual account, while your Apple Watch eSIM is a secondary connection linked to your primary account.
3. Why would I need a dual SIM phone?
You can have two different phone lines, one for business and another for personal use without the burden of carrying two phones.
4. How is the eSIM different from the physical SIM?
The eSIM can accommodate multiple phone numbers which you can add, delete and configure right from your iPhone's settings. In contrast, the physical SIM needs to be physically removed and substituted.
5. Can I add lines from different carriers/operators on my dual SIM iPhone?
You can add lines from two different carriers, if your iPhone is unlocked. However, if your iPhone is locked, both plans must be from the same carrier.
6. Can I add multiple eSIM accounts on my unlocked iPhone?
Yes, you can add multiple eSIM accounts on your unlocked iPhone from the same or different carriers. However, only one can be active at a time.
7. Will all my current services work if I replaced my physical SIM with the eSIM?
Yes, all of your existing services and tariffs will exist on your new eSIM.
8. Will my eSIM on iPhone work while roaming?
Yes, it will.
9. What do I need to activate my eSIM connection on a supported iPhone?
1. Subscribe to eSIM by visiting any etisalat outlet.
2. Get a QR code. This code can either be generated using My Etisalat UAE app (existing number) or provided by an etisalat agent (new number).
3. Scan the QR code on the iPhone you would like to have the eSIM on.
10. Where can I subscribe to eSIM?
You can get a new eSIM account or replace your existing physical SIM with an eSIM by visiting any etisalat Business Centre or outlet.
11. I visited an etisalat outlet and subscribed to eSIM. However, I was told to get my QR code through My Etisalat UAE app. What are the steps I need to follow for QR generation?
- Insert your physical SIM to your iPhone
- Log in to My Etisalat UAE app
- Select “Activate your eSIM” option on the app
- Confirm your eSIM activation
- Once you select this option, your physical SIM will be deactivated
- You will get your QR code
- Share this QR code with another device, as it requires scanning it from your iPhone
12. How can I scan the QR code on my iPhone?
- Make sure your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or iPhone XR is updated to the latest iOS
- Go to Settings > Cellular
- Tap “Add Cellular Plan” and the camera will automatically launch
- Use your iPhone to scan the QR code that you received via My Etisalat UAE app
13. Can I still use the physical SIM after I activated my eSIM? Is it safe to throw it away?
Once your eSIM is activated, your physical SIM will be deactivated. You can safely discard it.
14. If I initiate a factory reset on my eSIM-enabled iPhone, will I lose my eSIM activation?
Yes, your eSIM activation on your iPhone will be lost, and you will need to visit an etisalat outlet once more to reactivate your subscription to the eSIM and to get a new QR code.
15. What if I sent the QR code to the wrong account number or to a wrong email address?
In case you have shared the QR code with an untrusted account by mistake, before you activated the QR code on your phone, please call 101 or visit any etisalat store to deactivate it, to avoid someone else scanning this code.
16. What if I want to cancel my eSIM and return to the physical SIM? Is this possible?
Yes, you can always replace your eSIM with the traditional physical SIM, by visiting any etisalat store. You will be charged a SIM replacement fee of AED 25 (5% VAT excluded).
17. What if I lose my QR code and want to receive it again?
If you have generated the QR code through My Etisalat UAE app, your QR code will be stored in the app.
Go to Account menu > My Accounts > Account Settings > QR Code and your QR code will be displayed.
In case you received the QR code from our agents, you will need to visit an etisalat outlet once more to get a new QR code.
18. What do I need to do if I lose my QR Code?
If you lose your QR Code before scanning it, please call 101 or visit any etisalat outlet to deactivate it, to avoid someone else scanning this code.
19. Can I subscribe to the eSIM on top of my existing Multi SIM service?
If you are an existing Multi SIM user, you can replace only one physical SIM with the eSIM at a time.
20. Can my WhatsApp application work for two mobile numbers on my dual iPhone?
No. WhatsApp works only for one mobile number on the iPhone.